Mole Mapping in Denver, Meridian, Castle Rock, Aurora & Parker, CO
Dermatology Associates is the only private dermatology practice in the Denver Metro area that offers our patient’s the added benefit of Mole Mapping. It is a painless, noninvasive tool to help detect melanoma, a dangerous skin cancer. It involves using digital photography to track changes in moles, which can be an early sign of melanoma.
Mole mapping may be recommended for people who have a higher risk of melanoma, including those with:
- A mole that is larger than a nickel
- An atypical mole, called a dysplastic nevus, which may have an irregular shape or an uneven color
- More than 50 moles
- Fair skin and light-colored eyes
- A family or personal history of melanoma
- A history of severe sunburn
- New or changing moles
- A weakened immune system due to an organ transplant, cancer, chemotherapy or human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)
A member of our skin care team will take several digital photos of your entire skin surface. All of the photographs are stored in a secure database so they can be reviewed for changes at your next visit. You will receive a copy of your photos on a flash drive to be used to monitor your own skin between visits. If your dermatology provider discovers a change in a mole it could be an early sign of melanoma. Early detection is important because melanoma is very treatable in its early stages.
Most insurance companies recognize the effectiveness of Mole Mapping and provide coverage for the procedure.